Security Systems Assistant
Company: University of Georgia
Posted on: February 10, 2024
Security Systems Assistant
About the University of Georgia
Since our founding in 1785, the University of Georgia has operated
as Georgia's oldest, most comprehensive, and most diversified
institution of higher education (). The proof is in our more than
235 years of academic and professional achievements and our
continual commitment to higher education. UGA is currently ranked
among the top 20 public universities in U.S. News & World Report.
The University's main campus is located in Athens, approximately 65
miles northeast of Atlanta, with extended campuses in Atlanta,
Griffin, Gwinnett, and Tifton. UGA employs approximately 3,000
faculty and more than 7,700 full-time staff. The University's
enrollment exceeds 40,000 students including over 30,000
undergraduates and over 10,000 graduate and professional students.
Academic programs reside in 18 schools and colleges, as well as a
medical partnership with Augusta University housed on the UGA
Health Sciences Campus in Athens.
About the College/Unit/Department
Part of the Division of Student Affairs, University Housing
consists of nearly 2.8 million square feet of facilities and is
home to more than 9,000 students. The department employs 220
full-time staff members, 21 graduate assistants and 565
undergraduate student workers. As a self-supporting auxiliary,
University Housing operates a $59 million budget derived only from
student housing fees and other non-state sources.In support of its
mission to provide comfortable, affordable and secure housing
options where the academic success and personal growth of residents
are encouraged and supported, University Housing engages staff
members in competency-based training and students in
curriculum-based engagement focused on community building,
interpersonal skills, social awareness and responsibility, and
Additional Schedule Information
M-F, 7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Some after hours and weekend work may be required.
Open until filled
Proposed Starting Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
We are unable to offer a work visa sponsorship for this position.
You must be authorized to work in the U.S. to apply.
Priority consideration will be given to those who complete the
application process by December 15th, 2023; however, screening will
continue until the position is filled.
Location of Vacancy
EEO Policy Statement
The University of Georgia is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative
Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, genetic
information, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation or
protected veteran status. Persons needing accommodations or
assistance with the accessibility of materials related to this
search are encouraged to contact Central HR (email@example.com).
Requires technical knowledge in the field acquired through an
apprenticeship, formal training programs, or on-the-job training.
Please contact your Human Resources office for an evaluation of
education/experience in lieu of the required minimum
This is a full-time position within University Housing. The primary
function of this position is to participate in security systems and
access control related activities to develop proficiency in
security systems, lock smithing, and access controls. This
individual will train to perform a variety of security system
maintenance tasks in and around various residence halls, including
pathways and public areas. This position serves inside of the
security systems and access control shop.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and/or Competencies
- Knowledge of standard concepts and practices of the maintenance
field and be relied upon to plan and accomplish goals.
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with
staff, residents and various customer groups and demonstrates
supportive involvement in work environment.
- Knowledge of workplace rules and guidelines; stay in compliance
with UGA policies and procedures.
- Properly prioritize work load according to urgency.
- Effectively communicates and collaborates, both verbally and
electronically with a wide variety of individuals; such as
facilities colleagues, residence hall staff, students and family
- Safely operates and uses various tools associated with the
skilled trade worker field, e.g. power tools and hand
- Ability to carry out work assignments with expected degree of
independence and efficiency according to skilled craft practices
with limited callbacks for additional repair.
- Climb stairs and ladders. May work from a ladder or
- Bend at the waist and knees.
- Work with arms and hands overhead for an extended
- Use, care and maintain hand tools and power tools.
- Lift and move items at least 60 pounds in weight, both assisted
- May occasionally perform work related duties outdoors in hot or
cold weather conditions.
- Safely operate a UGA state vehicle, as necessary.
Is driving a responsibility of this position?
Is this a Position of Trust?
Does this position have operation, access, or control of financial
Does this position require a P-Card?
Is having a P-Card an essential function of this position?
Does this position have direct interaction or care of children
under the age of 18 or direct patient care?
Does this position have Security Access (e.g., public safety, IT
security, personnel records, patient records, or access to
chemicals and medications)
Credit and P-Card policy
Be advised a credit check will be required for all positions with
financial responsibilities. For additional information about the
credit check criteria, visit the website.
General Security System Duties
- Respond to written and verbal work orders requesting service.
Participate in maintenance related activities to develop
proficiency in all aspects of security systems, lock smithing and
- Accurately cuts keys, changes core pins and replaces cores in
doors. Inputs core change data into the key data base. Maintains
appropriate core change paperwork for documentation
- Installs, repairs, replaces and maintains a variety of locks
and associated door hardware in the residential communities within
a reasonable time frame. This includes morticed, cylindrical, panic
hardware, electronic/powered and others.
- Maintains appropriate paperwork relative to key control, for
input into the key data base.
- Picks locks as requested in emergency situations.
- Assist in access control work. This includes hardware repairs
and component replacements.
- Assist engineering staff with trouble shooting existing and
implementations of new access control solutions. Assist in the
tracing of infrastructural deficiencies and repairs.
Percentage of time
Periodic Inspections and Audits
- Assist in inspections of access control points and security
system hardware in residence halls.
- Assist in audit activities of keys assigned to staff.
- Perform audit activities of random student key boxes for
quality assurance and training purposes.
Percentage of time
- Performs summer work assignments including identification and
implementation of special projects and safety inspections,
including the oversight of students or temporary employees on
- Participates in maintenance after hours on-call program as
Percentage of time
Keywords: University of Georgia, Athens , Security Systems Assistant, Other , Athens, Georgia
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!